I wanted to do something that would feel like I was making an impact. I knew that AmeriCorps would be a great avenue to start with.– Kelsey Leas,
15/16 Corps for a Change Member
Founded in 1994, AmeriCorps is a national service program that engages more than 75,000 Americans in service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community Groups. CYC first partnered with AmeriCorps in 2015 to expand our reach and provide more attention to solving the dropout crisis in Coloroado.
Overview of CYC's Corps for a Change: Our program serves young people in Colorado who have dropped out of school or who are at risk of dropping out of school. AmeriCorps members do this in two ways:
- Reaching out to students who have already dropped out of school to reengage them in educational opportunities.
- Working with in-school youth with low attendance to provide support and resources in order to improve attendance and school engagement
Serving with CYC: While serving with CYC, AmeriCorps members:
- Support a caseload of 20-40 students
- Earn a living stipend each month
- Complete a minimum of 1700 hours within a ten and a half month term
- Earn an education award upon completion of 17000 hours of service
- Participate in professional development and training
If your school or organization is interested in hosting a CYC AmeriCorps member, contact email@example.com.