Adopt a School!
You can help support our youngest students and our Colorado Reading Corps program by committing to keeping a literacy station and treasure box with the school stocked. Receive regular updates from the school, and host an end of the year party for the students and AmeriCorps members serving in the school.
Other ways to help our Reading Corps Program right now include:
Welcome kits for tutors
Provide supplies for a welcome kit for a new tutor to get started in their school! Some items to incorporate in a welcome kit include:
- Page protectors
Stock a Treasure Box
Provide items for a Reading Corps member’s treasure box for them to give to students as rewards. Some ideas of items include:
- Fun pencils
- Fun erasers
- Bouncy Balls
- Coloring pages
General School Support
Here are some ideas of how you can support a Reading Corps school in other ways:
- Provide books for K-3 reading level
- Provide enough of one book for each student in a grade level to take home over a school break
- Stock the classroom with reams of paper
- Write notes of encouragement for students or tutors
- Throw an end of the year party for students and tutors
- Visit a classroom to read a story
Career Exploration Day!
Work with one of our Corps for a Change AmeriCorps members, or CYC staff members to organize a career exploration day for their 9th and 10th grade high school students.
Small Student Seminars!
Coordinate with members of our Educational Intervention team to set up a seminar on time management, self advocacy, organization, etc. for a small group of 9th grade students.
Take a tour of a partnering high school and learn more about the complexities of reenrollment. Walk in the shoes of students by reviewing transcripts, understanding school options, and navigat- ing the different barriers that students face.
College and Careers Class
Join the 3rd-period class at Futures Academy to teach students about different career paths, soft skills, and financial literacy or conduct mock interviews. Click here to view a calendar for Futures Academy.
- Wednesday or Thursday: 11:45-12:45
- Location: Aurora, CO
Tutor students at Futures Academy in Math or Language Arts (Click here)
- Monday-Friday 8:30 am- 2:30 pm
- Time Commitment: We ask for a full semester commitment and be able to tutor twice a month
- Location: Aurora, CO
Other Ways to Help
There are a number of other ways to get involved with Colorado Youth for a Change:
- Sponsor/serve a meal at Futures Academy for 30 students
- Host small group of students with job shadowing
- Collect items for student: hygiene products, backpacks, nonperishable snacks
- Help at Recognition Ceremony: May 2020
- Host a drive for students in need (backpacks, hygiene supplies, and/or gift cards for graduates)
- Attend an event
- Become an AmeriCorps member
Contact: Sarah at email@example.com