Colorado Reading Corps AmeriCorps Program
In Colorado today, 60% of third graders can’t read at grade level. If they don’t read proficiently by the end of third grade, odds are against them for catching up in the future. Join Colorado Reading Corps as a tutor and you’ll help students build the skills needed to become successful readers. Our tutors support early literacy in either one-on-one settings (Kindergarten through 3rd grade) or by supporting classwide (PreK) to help all students start off strong.
Reading Corps AmeriCorps members complete a minimum of 1200 hours within a nine and a half month term of service (August 2020-May 2021).
No experience? No problem! Reading Corps provides comprehensive training in strategies proven to help students learn.
- Living allowance for a service term of 1200 hours; allowance is up to $11,750 total, pre-tax and paid twice per month.
- Segal Education Award of $4,336.50 at the end of a successful term of service, which can be used to repay student loans or for current or future education.
- Receive health insurance if eligible
- Mileage reimbursement or bus fare
- Members participate in professional development and training including personal strengths, inclusivity, working with high needs students, communication styles, and a variety of other topics.
*Tutors 55+ may gift the award to their child or grandchild or use for certain types of travel.
Disclaimers: In accordance with AmeriCorps Regulation 45 CFR 2540.100, this position does not duplicate work of previous or existing employees or volunteers, supplant the hiring of workers, or include service or duties that have been performed or were performed by a current employee, an employee who recently resigned or was discharged, an employee subject to a reduction in work force, or an employee who is on leave. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is committed to achieving a diverse, high-performing workforce. No persons involved with this program will discriminate based on race, religion, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, disability, marital/parental status, or military service. We strive to provide a service and work environment free of sexual, racial, ethnic, religious or other harassment.