About Math Corps
Math Corps was developed in Minnesota and has since been replicated in four states. CYC is excited to bring Math Corps to Colorado because we know that math skills are highly predictive of high school graduation. By harnessing the power of AmeriCorps, Math Corps places full-time AmeriCorps members in schools for a for the whole school year. Members provide evidence-based math support to students struggling in math and track their progress until they reach their learning goals.
Why Math Corps Matters
- Proficiency in math is highly predictive of graduating high school
- Proficiency in math is correlated with attending college and higher lifetime earnings
- 65% of 8th graders in Colorado are not proficient in math
Expected Results (data from Minnesota)
- After a semester of Math Corps intervention, students were exceeding their target growth by 2-3 months
- In the same timeframe, Math Corps students made 1.5-2x as much progress as students not receiving Math Corps services Read study here
Host a Math Corps Member at Your School
A full-time AmeriCorps member will serve in your building from the end of August to the end of May. We have the opportunity and funding to grow the program quickly and at a reduced cost to our partner school sites. We are currently asking for $3,000 per member. We do not want cost to be a barrier to providing services to any students so welcome further conversations about funding.
- Serve in a school five days a week and use evidence-based math interventions to work with small groups of 4th-8th graders who are struggling in math.
- Conduct intervention sessions that are 30-45 minutes. Each student on the caseload is seen 90 minutes per week.
- Serve a caseload of at least 26 students
- Monitor student progress bi-monthly and meet with Internal and Master coaches to assess data and support student success
For more information contact: ChristinaM@youthforachange.org