About Corps for a Change
Corps for a Change has been in operation since 2015. By focusing on school engagement and attendance, Corps for a Change offers another area of services to youth who are at risk of dropping out of school.
- 479 students who were considered chronically absent were served by the program last year
- 42% of students within the target group increased attendance, compared to an average decline in overall school attendance of 5% over the year.
Why Attendance Matters
- Students who live in communities with high levels of poverty are four times more likely to be chronically absent than others often for reasons beyond their control, such as unstable housing, unreliable transportation and a lack of access to health care (Attendance Works)
- Attendance improves when schools engage students and parents in positive ways and when schools provide mentors for chronically absent students (Attendance Works)
Host a Corps for a Change Member at Your School
You’ll receive a full time AmeriCorps member serving in your building from the end of August to the end of May. The school pays $10,000 per AmeriCorps member to support matching costs.
- Serve a caseload of 20-40 students with 70-90% attendance
- Monitor student attendance and conduct weekly one-on-one meetings to support student success
- Support in-school attendance initiatives and engagement
- Connect students to resources within the school and community
For more information contact: VanessaN@youthforachange.org