About Colorado Math Corps
Math Corps was developed in Minnesota and has since been replicated in four states. CYC is excited to bring Math Corps to Colorado because we know that math skills are highly predictive of high school graduation. Colorado Math Corps places full-time AmeriCorps members in schools that provide evidence-based math support to students struggling in math and track their progress until they reach their learning goals.
Why Colorado Math Corps Matters
- Proficiency in math is highly predictive of graduating high school
- Proficiency in math is correlated with attending college and higher lifetime earnings
- 65% of 8th graders in Colorado are not proficient in math
Expected Results (data from Minnesota)
- After a semester of Math Corps intervention, students were exceeding their target growth by 2-3 months
- In the same timeframe, Math Corps students made 1.5-2x as much progress as students not receiving Math Corps services Read study here
- Serve in a school five days a week and use evidence-based math interventions to work with small groups of 4th-8th graders who are struggling in math.
- Conduct intervention sessions that are 30-45 minutes. Each student on the caseload is seen 90 minutes per week.
- Serve a caseload of at least 26 students
- Monitor student progress bi-monthly and meet with Internal and Master coaches to assess data and support student success
For more information contact: ChristinaM@youthforachange.org
Bring Colorado Math Corps to Your School
Colorado Math Corps supports fourth through eighth grade students in math proficiency. The program adopts a sequential and mastery-oriented approach in which students progress through math concepts at their own speed. Student progress is monitored bi-monthly to assess data and support student success.
If you’re interested in bringing Colorado Math Corps to your school, fill out an interest form below!
For questions, please contact Vanessa Notman, Senior Director of Programs, at VanessaN@youthforachange.org.