Colorado Reading Corps AmeriCorps Program
In Colorado today, 60% of third graders can’t read at grade level. If they don’t read proficiently by the end of third grade, odds are against them for catching up in the future. Join Colorado Reading Corps as a tutor and you’ll help students build the skills needed to become successful readers. Our tutors support early literacy in one-on-one settings with Kindergarten through 3rd grade students.
More About Service
- Tutors spend 20 minutes per day with each child they are paired with, implementing 10 different literacy-based strategies.
- Your support provides children with the increased support they need to read on grade level.
- AmeriCorps members complete a minimum of 675 hours from January-May 2023.
- No experience? No problem! Reading Corps provides comprehensive training in strategies proven to help students learn.
- Living allowance is $1,200 per pay period (paid twice per month for a monthly living allowance of $2,400).
- Segal Education Award of $2,474.27. This is awarded at the end of a successful term of service and can be used to repay student loans or for current or future education.
- Mileage reimbursement or bus fare
- Members participate in professional development and training including personal strengths, inclusivity, working with high needs students, communication styles, and a variety of other topics.
*Tutors 55+ may gift the award to their child or grandchild or use for certain types of travel.
Interested in serving with Colorado Reading Corps?
Bring Colorado Reading Corps to Your School
Colorado Youth for a Change manages the implementation of Colorado Reading Corps, a program that supports kindergarten through third grade students to increase reading proficiency. The program places AmeriCorps members in schools to provide daily, one-on-one tutoring to students reading below grade level. Tutors provide targeted reading skill practice, commonly called interventions, primarily in the areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, and fluency.
If you’re interested in bringing Colorado Reading Corps to your school, fill out an interest form below!
For questions, please contact Vanessa Notman, Senior Director of Programs, at VanessaN@youthforachange.org.
Colorado Reading Corps is made possible in Larimer and Weld Counties in part through the generous support of United Way of Larimer County and United Way of Weld County and their donors.
Disclaimers: In accordance with AmeriCorps Regulation 45 CFR 2540.100, this position does not duplicate work of previous or existing employees or volunteers, supplant the hiring of workers, or include service or duties that have been performed or were performed by a current employee, an employee who recently resigned or was discharged, an employee subject to a reduction in work force, or an employee who is on leave. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is committed to achieving a diverse, high-performing workforce. No persons involved with this program will discriminate based on race, religion, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, disability, marital/parental status, or military service. We strive to provide a service and work environment free of sexual, racial, ethnic, religious or other harassment.