CYC’s Reengagement team reaches out to over 3,000 youth each year who have left school early without a diploma. For those interested in exploring educational options and getting back into school, an education plan is put into place and a relationship is established with one of CYC’s Reengagement Specialists. Together, transcripts are reviewed along with personal barriers, educational goals, and geographic location to ensure the best possible school fit.
If you’re a student who wants to get back into school:
1 in 6 students in the United States leave school without finishing each year. According to the U.S. Department of Education, completing high school increases a student’s likelihood of adult success, including better health, more stable housing, higher rates of employment, and higher earnings throughout their lifetime.
- 168 students reenrolled back into school in partnership with a CYC Reengagement Specialist
- 80% of the incredible students who reenrolled stayed in school or graduated by the end of the school year
- 3,497 young people received personalized outreach to reenroll in school
Why This Work Matters
- More than 10,000 Colorado students (2.2 percent) left school before completing a diploma last year, which is 2,200 more students than the prior year.
- While the Colorado dropout rate declined by more than half since 2005, it rose last year to its highest level in four years.
- Students that have strong relationships with caring adults are more likely to be engaged at school and succeed academically (Roehlkepartain, Eugene C.).
- Education Planning
- Enrollment and Retention
Once a youth is reenrolled in school, CYC’s Reengagement Specialists continue to provide support through ongoing case management and connection to community resources that reduce barriers and boost a student’s chance to graduate from school.