Colorado Math Corps AmeriCorps Program
In Colorado, 65% of 8th graders are not proficient in math. Math skills are highly predictive of high school graduation and correlated with college attendance and higher lifetime earnings. Join Colorado Math Corps and help students build the math skills they need to go on to graduate high school and pursue their career of choice. As a Colorado Math Corps member, you’ll serve in a school five days a week and use evidence-based math interventions to work with small groups of 4th-8th graders who are struggling in math.
More about Service
- Colorado Math Corps members: Support 4th – 8th graders who are below grade-level in math skills. Intervention sessions are in small groups that last 30-45 minutes and members have a daily caseload of at least 26 students. Student progress data is collected by members bi-monthly to assess growth.
- Members are trained in evidence-based math interventions and have ongoing support and guidance from an on-site coach and a CYC coaching specialist. No prior teaching experience necessary, just compassion and a commitment to helping youth.
- AmeriCorps members complete a minimum of 900 hours from October 2022-May 2023.
- Living allowance is $1,200 per pay period (paid twice per month for a monthly living allowance of $2,400).
- Segal Education Award of $3,247.50. This is awarded at the end of a successful term of service and can be used to repay student loans or for current or future education.
- Mileage reimbursement or bus fare
- Members participate in professional development and training that includes personal strengths, inclusivity, working with high needs students, communication styles, and a variety of other topics.
Interested in serving with Colorado Math Corps?
Math Corps was developed in Minnesota and has been replicated in 4 states. Colorado is the 5th!
Bring Colorado Math Corps to Your School
Colorado Math Corps supports fourth through eighth grade students in math proficiency. The program adopts a sequential and mastery-oriented approach in which students progress through math concepts at their own speed. Student progress is monitored bi-monthly to assess data and support student success.
If you’re interested in bringing Colorado Math Corps to your school, fill out an interest form below!
For questions, please contact Vanessa Notman, Senior Director of Programs, at VanessaN@youthforachange.org.
Disclaimers: In accordance with AmeriCorps Regulation 45 CFR 2540.100, this position does not duplicate work of previous or existing employees or volunteers, supplant the hiring of workers, or include service or duties that have been performed or were performed by a current employee, an employee who recently resigned or was discharged, an employee subject to a reduction in work force, or an employee who is on leave. The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is committed to achieving a diverse, high-performing workforce. No persons involved with this program will discriminate based on race, religion, creed, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, political affiliation, disability, marital/parental status, or military service. We strive to provide a service and work environment free of sexual, racial, ethnic, religious or other harassment.